Can't stop stressing about the future? You're not alone! "Future tripping" is a normal human response... but too much of it can rob us of our joy in the present. Here are my top tips to help stay in the moment.
- Find a notepad… and use it. Guess what - if you have a long list of things that need to be done, and you keep it in your head, it might tend to occupy your thoughts! There is a pretty basic solution to this dilemma, and it involves old-school technology. :) Use a pen and paper to make yourself checklists - I like to divide my tasks according to their time frames to keep it simple and organized. I prefer using a pen and paper for this list-making, because it prevents me from wandering into social media and online shopping when I write myself a quick note.
- Meet your future tripping with compassion and curiosity. We usually have a good reason for thinking about the future, even if we don’t know what it is! If you notice that you are stuck future tripping, good news - you’re human! :) See if you can notice how this pattern benefits you and whether it addresses any underlying needs you might have. Paradoxically, accepting that you are going to think about the future a lot might actually decrease how much you do it.
- Find a fun activity to do that requires your concentration. Nothing keeps you present like combining the joy of being in the moment with something that captures your attention. Ever watched a really good movie? You probably were glued to the screen… not thinking about taking the trash out three days later. Some people like books, mountain biking, cooking, learning a new skill, or drawing to incite their passion for the present. There are so many options - don’t be afraid to try out a few!
- Meditate with the healing power of nature. I *love* finding an appropriate meditation spot in the great outdoors… but sometimes that can be easier said than done! If you aren’t into seated meditation, you can just take a leisurely walk with an intention to notice your surroundings. And if you like seated meditation but the weather won’t cooperate, or you can’t make it to a natural sanctuary, try using some nature sounds in a nice indoor space to help slow down the pace of life and center yourself. My favorite nature meditation collection is Nature Heals by Ilchi Lee.
- Try a Thetahealing download for being present. Thetahealing downloads are really similar to software downloads for a computer, and basically function to upgrade your internal programming. If you have a faulty version of a being present program, then maybe it's time to upgrade! For example, some of us have been taught that being present feels unsafe or leaves us unprepared. :( No wonder we wouldn't want that! All you have to do is say "YES" after reading this to receive the pure, direct download of the feeling of being present, without finding yourself unprepared, in the highest and best way with joy and ease. It feels really, really good!
What activities incite your passion for the present moment? Share them in the comments!