Cognitive Dissonance may appear to be an odd health & vitality building topic. Humor me, I believe it is very relevant and appropriate.
Let’s first make sure we’re both on the same page by defining Cognitive Dissonance. Psychologist Leon Festinger (1919-89), introduced the concept in the late 1950’s.
When confronted with challenging new information, most people seek to preserve their current understanding of the world by rejecting, explaining away, avoiding the new information or by convincing themselves that no conflict really exists.
This is why people get upset and defensive when you challenge what they hold close. It won’t matter how you say it or what resources you include, the response just happens.
What I offer in the Awaken Your Health programs includes a few notions that some have found difficult to accept:
- Health challenges and/or signs and symptoms of dis-ease are not due to pharmaceutical drug deficiencies.
- There are definable reasons why your body is behaving in a manner in direct opposition to how you wish and it’s rarely, if ever, genetically pre-determined.
- The primary causal factors for dis-ease and the primary healing opportunities for building health & vitality are, relatively speaking the same, environment and lifestyle or how you interact with people, places and things including yourself.
- Food matters. Appropriate real whole foods, consumed in appropriate amounts and ratios (macronutrients), are foundational to building health and vitality.
- Self-care, such as FDN® Functional Health Coaching, when appropriate for your unique biochemical individuality and applied, works.
These matters often fly in direct opposition to what you have learned and were told over the course of your life from a plethora of sources including, family, schooling, government and corporate interests.
What I suggest and encourage is that you don’t take anything at face value, regardless of who or what is saying it. Do your own research, ask questions, try it and allow your innate inner wisdom direct you.
Without going into much detail, let’s prove the truth that Health Complaints don’t equal Drug Deficiencies. Taking prescription drugs is so common, people tend to believe it is normal. They don’t appear to associate compromised health with pharmaceuticals. I have had conversations with individuals actively dealing with cancer or CVD and they believe they are healthy.
- Constipation is not a Metamucil or Ex-Lax deficiency
- Indigestion is not a Nexium or Prilosec deficiency
- Aches and Pains are not an Advil or Tylenol deficiency
- Headaches are not an Aspirin or Ibuprofen deficiency
- Allergies and Hay Fever are not an anti-histamine deficiency
- Low libido is not a Viagra deficiency
- Mental Fragility (anxiety / depression) is not a Valium, Atavan, Zanax oralcohol deficiency
- Low Energy / Lethargy is not a caffeine, sugar or chocolate deficiency (stimulants)
In 2016 there were approximately 4.45 billion (yes, billion) prescriptions written throughout the United States. We’re talking prescriptions, not individual pills. We’re also not including over-the-counter (OTC) drugs or vaccines. This number is up from 3.95 billion written in 2009.
That’s roughly 14 prescriptions for every man, women and child. Neither my wife or I take one Rx, someone(s) is making up the difference.
Is it so difficult to understand what being healthy is? In spite of all the technical, medical and science advancements, it doesn’t appear to be working. If drugs were so effective in preventing dis-ease or building health should the following be occurring:
- 65% of American adults are overweight or obese
- NIH (National Institute of Health) estimates up to 23.5 million Americans suffer from an autoimmune disease. The number is growing rapidly as auto-immune conditions continue to be discovered.
- Alzheimer’s is the third leading cause of death in the US after heart disease and cancer
- 26 million Americans have diabetes
- 7 million Americans have diabetes and don’t realize it
- 79 million Americans are pre-diabetic and may or may not realize it
- 1 in 3 children born in 2000 are expected to become diabetic
- 1 of every 2 black or hispanic children born in 2000 are expected to become diabetic
- According to the American cancer society the risk of developing cancer for men is 43.31% and 37.81% for women
- The risk of dying from cancer is 22.83% for men and 19.26% for women
Sure, longevity is at an all-time high, but it’s not a true test of health. More important is quality of life and that is suffering across all age groups.
Rather than aging gracefully, as a culture we are getting old.
Every single one of the above mentioned health problems IS preventable. If you believe that drugs are so good and necessary read the black box of side-effects. Consider that most drugs work by suppressing unwanted function. The suppression of a population is seen as bad, so why is the suppression of an individual at a cellular level, good?
I offer a few follow-up questions. Consider your current health situation.
- What you are doing to resolve it?
- Are you manifesting the results you should expect with reasonable expectations?
- Are you easily able to maintain those results with undo stress?
- Can you maintain this lifestyle for years if not decades to come?
The fact that you are even reading this says that you are, at the very least, open to possibilities. You have already taken a step or two, outside the proverbial “box”. This says a lot about you and it is good. Don’t stop now, keep moving forward and be willing recognize and accept when something you believe is true, may in fact be false.