Bach Flower Remedies for PTSD
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) has been known by or associated with many names over the years: melancholy, the vapors, nostalgia, soldier’s heart, shell shock, railway spine, battle fatigue, and combat stress reaction, among others. Although there is more awareness of PTSD, it is still poorly understood. Current treatments are far from effective. People with PTSD are often medicated, usually with limited success and numerous side effects.
The beauty of the Bach Flower Remedies is that they are totally natural and have no side effects. Bach Flower Remedies can be very helpful in balancing PTSD sufferers’ emotions so they are less reactive. Several Bach flower remedies may be helpful.
- Star of Bethlehem is an obvious and necessary choice, since it processes shock and trauma.
- Cherry Plum is another prime candidate, since it helps people who are on the edge of losing control.
- Honeysuckle helps people who are haunted by memories of the past.
- Clematis helps people who are not present or easily slip into a dream world.
- Aspen helps people who are on edge with generalized anxiety, expecting something bad to happen.
- Holly helps people who are on edge because of suspicion or who are harboring hatred.
- Rock Rose helps balance terror, restoring a sense of calm.
- White Chestnut quiets the mind, stopping mental chatter and racing or repetitive thoughts.
- Impatiens helps people who are keyed up and impatient, feeling a sense of urgency.
There are 39 Bach Flower Remedies, in all. They can work on every emotion imaginable, from depression to apathy. It is best to seek out a Bach Foundation Registered Practitioner (BFRP), a professional who is trained to ask the right questions to formulate the ideal blend for your specific needs.
I am available for phone consultations nationwide and face-to-face consultations in Seattle. If you prefer to work with a BFRP in your local area, you can consult the international registry on the Bach Centre's website.
Alternatively, you can purchase individual remedies and Rescue Remedy through most health food stores, food cooperatives, and anyplace where homeopathy is sold. It is a blend of Star of Bethlehem, Cherry Plum, Clematis, Rock Rose, and Impatiens.
© 2017 Carl Anderson