This simple Steam bath is an easy way to help ease lung and sinus discomfort due to infection, allergies or exposure to irritating smoke and environmental pollutants. As a Naturopathic Doctor in Portland, OR, I frequently recommend steam baths containing thyme and peppermint to my patients. Both of these healing plants help the respiratory system while also impeding unwanted microbial/infection growth, By the way, it’s also very soothing and relaxing as well.
- 1 Large heat-proof bowl
- 1 heaping tablespoon of dried thyme or 5 drops of thyme essential oil
- 1 sprig of peppermint or 3 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 4 cups of boiling water
- Bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil
- While water is boiling, add 1 heaping tablespoon of dried thyme or 5 drops of thyme essential oil and 1 sprig of peppermint or 3 drops of peppermint essential oil to a large heatproof bowl.
- Slowly pour boiling water over her
- Use a bowl to make a tent over the steaming herbs
- Cover head and breath in deeply for 10-12 minutes
- Repeat 2-3 times per day when symptoms are worse, reduce to 1 time a day after symptoms improve.
Thanks for reading and let me know how this easy home remedy works for you. I hope it will leave you feeling revived and relaxed while easing your upper respiratory discomfort.