Do you have sleep issues? Most of us do from time to time. But some deal with sleep issues ALL of the time. Whether it be sleeplessness, sleep apnea or even too much sleep. Lack of sleep and even too much sleep can drastically effect your overall wellness?
The most common problem tends to be sleeplessness. Sometimes this happens because in our busy, stressful and digitally enhanced world. We are just entirely over stimulated every day. Some of us have trouble shutting all of this off when it’s time to retire for the day. There are some common things that you can do to help alleviate some of these factors.
- Eliminate screen time at least an hour before bedtime. The blue light associated with technology fools our minds into thinking its still daytime.
- Eat your last meal at least 3 hours before bedtime. Our bodies don’t sleep well when they have digestion left to do.
- Try some breathing techniques. I love the 4-7-8 technique (breathing for 4 counts, hold for 7 counts & release for 8 counts). This helps break the cycle of thought that we keep running through our minds all night.
- Use essential oils for relaxation. Single oils like Lavender, Roman Chamomile and Petigrain are very relaxing. doTerra also offers several blends that can assist in this area as well. Try any of these and see which one works for you best from Balance, Peace & Serenity. Try a drop of any of these on your pillow or diffuse it before retiring for the day.
What about those with sleep apnea? Those of us who may snore a lot but stop breathing for what may seem like forever to those of us who share sleep space with them. Then they may gasp to catch up. This condition is not healthy and can hinder our brain health due to deprivation of oxygen. If this condition is left untreated it can lead to early onset dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. So attention to this is very important.
- Consult your physician first and foremost.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Excess weight is the most common cause of sleep apnea and snoring issues.
- Sleeping on your side vs your back can be helpful.
- Run a humidifier in the room.
- Consume local and raw honey. This can reduce inflammation and sooth the nasal passages.
- Lavender essential oil is helpful here as well.
What about too much sleep? Believe it or not this isn’t good for us either. Too much sleep (consistently over 9 hours a night), can lead to diabetes, heart disease, stroke and possible death. This can be caused a poor sleep schedule, sleep disorders such as sleep apnea. Seasonal light deprivation and depression can also lead to this issue.
- As always consult your physician if you are experiencing these issues. They may check for depression, anemia, diabetes and thyroid issues.
- Get outside and soak up some sunlight.
- Eat a well balance diet with a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Minimize overly processed food products and sugars. All disease begins in the gut.
- Helpful essential oils include rosemary, geranium, black pepper and the Aroma Touch blend.
Some of these suggestions should alleviate some of your sleep issues. If you have continued issues and would like some additional support. I do provide a FREE consultation. Contact me here to schedule yours. We all need a coach.
If you would like to try some FREE SAMPLES of doTerra Essential oils, you can contact me here for those. I look forward to helping you with your sleep.