We know that we are 60% water and a person can survive for about 3 days without water…so the quality of the water we drink and use is huge!
Even though the tap water in US is regulated, the reality is we don't go far enough to protect our water for our health. In fact, only 91 pollutants are regulated, yet more than 60,000 chemicals are used and with each year their concentration is growing.
Some of these chemicals are:
- Medication, including birth control (!!)
- Heavy metals (lead, mercury)
- Industrial solvents
- Personal care products
- Weed killers
- Flame retardants
- Rocket fuel
As you can imagine, many of the contaminants found on our water have been linked to chronic health problems, like autoimmune disease, diabetes, hormonal imbalance and infertility, thyroid disease, as well as birth defects.
Fluoride, which is added to the water system, is another element that has been shown to be linked to some serious health concerns.
I've recently watched an episode of the Netflix show Rotten where it talked about the "history" of water bottles and I was shocked!
I already knew that this "solution" is faulty, from the carbon footprint, to the hormone disruptive chemicals that leak in the water from the plastic bottle…but that is not all.
Now I know better to take these kind of mainstream documentaries with a grain of salt…BUT some of the facts were absolutely true and I missed them because I live in a world where we're fed with stuff that we don't want but marketers make us believe that WE NEED THEM!
Anyways, but what can a person do now?
The third option is investing in a high-quality water filter.
The best types water filters are:
- High quality carbon filters
- Reverse osmosis
In order to find out what system works best for you, you will need to first know how much money are you ready to invest and second what system will work for your home.
After doing my own research I decided to buy the Berkey Water Filter because:
- The water gets purified, meaning all the bacteria, viruses, heavy metals and chemicals are filtered but the natural minerals remain (not like other filters on the market)
- It's been tested by high graded third party labs
- Outperforms commercially available water filters from both portable and household water filter categories
- The filters last 10 times longer than other brands
- It's costing me 2 cents per gallon! (The gallon I buy from the store is $2)
- The tanks are made of stainless steel, not plastic
- It's portable
I encourage to do your own research, see how much you are spending on a monthly basis for bottle of water and start considering investing on a good quality water filter that will hep your body thrive and save your wallet!