Most people I know love a good piece of pizza, but aren’t quite as happy about the calories or the allergens. Many places have begun developing gluten free or vegan pizza options, but they tend to still be high in calories and it is usually difficult to find a good quality, easy to prepare option that you can have at home. As I have had similar experiences, I am always looking for good replacement options. While I was at the Natural Grocer’s I found a new option that suited the needs I was looking for- a pizza crust that is made from one ingredient- yucca pulp. While they are a bit expensive and I didn’t quite know what to expect, I figured I’d give it a shot, and I was pleasantly surprised. Using the baking instructions on the package and some other experimental ingredients, I was able to come up with a gluten free, dairy free, corn free, egg free, yeast free, tomato and onion free (etc) tasty and easy to make pizza slice! While this recipe can be adjusted based on your personal needs or preferences, this is an option that I found was delicious and relatively healthy while still fitting my needs.
- 1 piece: Fortuna Casabi- Gluten Free, Vegan- Artisan flatbread (Yucca Pulp)
- 1 slice: Follow Your Heart Garden Herb Cheese slices
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive oil
- Red pepper spread with eggplant and garlic (Trader Joes Brand)
- Pine Nuts- 1 TBSP
- Spinach- small handful
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and cover a baking pan or sheet with tin foil
Carefully handling flatbread/crust piece (they crumble easily), lightly drizzle olive oil and balsamic on the “crust”
- Spread a thin layer of the red pepper spread lightly covering the “crust” (amount of spread to taste)
- Use one piece of follow your heart garden herb cheese and break into pieces to cover the “crust” uniformly
- Top it off with a small handful of spinach and a TBSP of pine nuts (if desired)
- Once oven is ready, place the baking pan with flat bread in the oven for approximately 15 minutes (per flat bread package) or until it has slightly browned
- Removed from oven and allow to cool slightly
- Serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this easy to make, healthy and delicious snack/small meal option and that you can use it as an option to satisfy that inevitable pizza craving! I would love to hear your feedback on this recipe or ideas you may have for similar recipes!
We are also extending our labor day sale for one more week! With the first sign of fall and the holiday season being right around the corner, take charge of your health early this year to survive the holiday season with the healthy mindsets and body you deserve! We are offering Labor Day sales discounts through 9/15/18 for our weight loss packages to help you accomplish this! CONTACT US for more information and SCHEDULE to get started today!
-Ricci-Lee Hotz, MS, RDN
Denver’s Dancing Dietitian
A Taste of Health, LLC
“Improving Quality of life one bite at a time”