Have you ever gotten stuck with ideas for a new sauce to put on your pasta or to add flavor and moisture to your meat, poultry, or meat substitute dish? Most people tend to use tomato or dairy-based sauces. These are great options as well, unless you have dairy and/or tomato sensitivities or are trying to use less calorie dense sauces (instead of dairy based sauces). This sauce provides another healthy sauce option to add a new flavor to many of your dishes especially if you have a variety of food sensitivities.
· 1 jar fire roasted red and yellow peppers in olive oil from Trader Joe’s
· ½ cup 505 hatch chili salsa
· ¼ cup unsweetened milk substitute (eg coconut or almond milk)
· ½ cup organic, fresh squeezed lemon juice (or to taste)
· Spices: Salt, black pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, basil (to taste, recommend generous amount of garlic and black pepper using other spices conservatively)
· Put fire-roasted peppers including all liquid from the jar along with hatch chili salsa, milk substitute, lemon juice, and spices into a blender or food processor and blend on a low-medium setting until ingredients are uniformly blended.
· Taste test sauce and adjust spices/lemon juice to taste if sauce is initially too bland or sweet from milk substitute
· Re-blend as necessary with adjusted ingredients.
** Recommend sautee sauce in with either pasta directly, 2 lbs of ground turkey (or beef), or meat substitute on medium-high heat until liquid is cooked off and meat/meat substitute is lightly browned or is well cooked in with pasta and serve. Note in image sauce has been sautéed in with 2 lbs. ground turkey and 3 diced, sautéed and lemon and garlic seasoned bell peppers.
You don’t have to give up flavor just because you have food sensitivities or are trying to eat healthy! Creative, healthy, vegetable-based sauces provide a great option to keep your food tasting great without sacrificing your health!
I would love to hear if you have any feedback or recommendations about this recipe and how it worked out for you!
With Labor Day approaching and being the first sign of fall and the holiday season being right around the corner, take charge of your health early this year to survive the holiday season with the healthy mindsets and body you deserve! We are offering Labor Day sales discounts through 9/8/18 for our weight loss packages to help you accomplish this! CONTACT US for more information and SCHEDULE to get started today!
-Ricci-Lee Hotz, MS, RDN
Denver’s Dancing Dietitian
A Taste of Health, LLC
“Improving Quality of life one bite at a time”